Pages

Saturday 26 January 2013

Jan 26: Feeling unpatriotic

   
Pin It Now!     
Happy Australia Day!
Unfortunately my day has been very unpatriotic, no parties, no gatherings, no BBQ's, just my family and I painting my dad's new studio. However we were listening to great Australian musicians and I do quite like painting so no qualms here. I also think that later we are going to sit down and watch a movie whilst eating Lamingtons, so much spongy chocolatey cocoanuty goodness. Add pizza and caramel popcorn and I'm all set for the night.

Australia Day commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet to Sydney Cove though they had been camped at Botany Bay for a number of days, finding it unsuitable.
We don't really have a spectacular history as we're still quite 'young' with less than 300 years of 'settlement'. It doesn't contains much, just a few ships arriving bringing convicts from England, federation, a few bush rangers, the gold rush and a couple of wars.
Though there where native people here before the 'white' people came, the decedents of whom call Australia Day, Invasion Day in their own right, they were pretty much invaded.

Sidenote: I find it really bazaar that if a public holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday we get the Monday off as well as compensation for the 'lost' holiday.

Homework is not going very well, though I have finish my booklet for my interview with my homeroom teacher. Progress.
       Procrastination: 342 
       Good Grades: 1

Until next time,
Liana xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets