Pages

Sunday 24 February 2013

Feb 24: My Acne Story.

   
Pin It Now!     
Hi guys,
Something I try not to let people know is that I have struggled with oily, acne prone skin since I was 11.
During the time between then and now I have tried pretty much everything under the sun to try and control/prevent them. From medication to proscription creams to the pill to drugstore products and even ProActive. They all started off promising however within a month or two my skin stopped reacting to it and it would end up the same as it was before I tried the product. It was very frustrating.

Sensing that it was something else, I turned to face mapping and a change in Diet. A lot of my dad's side of the family are wheat or gluten intolerant so that's where I started. I cut out all bread and cereals. Seeing that it was actually doing something, I went to my doctor to have tests done. Seeing as I was still on my wheat/gluten reduced diet the tests came back negative even though I was displaying all the symptoms. My doctor then recommended me to go see a gastroenterology. Though I'm still in the process of being tested but it is all going well.

As well as cutting out bread and cereals I have also started cutting out refined sugars and refined/white rice and have stopped eating fast food and junk food (mostly). I was taught the importance of eating fresh fruit and vegetables since I was very young, something I am incredibly grateful for.

I also started doing little things like:
- changing my pillow case twice a week
- making sure my phone is clean
- regularly washing makeup brushes
- getting more exercise
- not eating straight before going to bed
- getting more sleep
- reducing stress by doing yoga
- making sure I get enough vitamins everyday.
This article also helps with treating specific places that are breaking out.

I've now found that I need to swap around my cleanser every few days. I now use the 'gel cleanser' from this range most days, using the 'antibacterial cleanser' from this range every few days.

I also found a homemade face mask that works really well for me.

EXFOLIATING FACE MASK
Ingredients:
2 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg

1. Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of nutmeg until it forms a paste.
2. Rinse face with warm water and pat dry with a towel. Apply mask using fingers starting from the nose working your way out and around the face avoiding the eye area. This should only be a thin layer other wise it will drip.
3. Do something else for 30 minutes then rinse off using warm water and a face washer. I usually cleanse using my everyday cleanser afterwards like I normally do just to get rid of any dead skin left behind.

Honey has antibacterial properties so can help the skin heal promoting new skin growth (perfect for scars) and can help fight swelling by killing infection when applied to acne. Similar to honey, nutmeg and cinnamon also have antibacterial properties as well as anti-fungal ones to fight infection. The cinnamon and nutmeg also act as an exfoliate and bonus points because is it smells amazing too. However nutmeg can be harsh on sensitive skin, so I recommend testing a bit on your inner wrist to make sure its okay to use.

I hope my story helps someone.
Until next time,
Liana xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Wordpress Gadgets